Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Early American Road

Today when walking to move my car on my break I was awed by this beauty parked behind my office building.
This picture by no means does it justice...I was using my cell phone and walking briskly...and unfortunately there's no "zoom" feature on my phone. BUT this car was beautiful. And it spoke to me in ways that only early American cars can. The 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's. Could American cars be any better?
 
And so today I bring you the inspire fire that comes with chrome, whimsical colors, fins, luxury epitomized in design, bulbous flare, speed, and a little exhaust.


When I was a child I was FASCINATED with old cars. I also still today have a deep love for them, as well as diners, black & white checkered with shiny chrome decor, bubblegum, sundaes, and music older than my parents. And the dancing...don't even get me started!!


And for me, seeing an older car brings all these things to mind. A time that can seem care-free in the best way possible. A time that seems only a story it's so far away. And then there's also the feeling of luxury, richness, old Hollywood that comes with other models of cars.



And then there's the California beach party lifestyle...

AND then there's the adrenaline blood-pumping throttle of danger. Maybe a chicken race or drag race in general. Maybe a gangster in a big city at the wheel. . .

These are the possibilities I personally see when I look at an "old" American car. No other country's antiquated cars can do that for me. And although these stories hold a nostalgic feeling for me there is still the unbelievable, practically limitless possibilities conjured by the designers themselves in their original design and intent.
Rather than nostalgia, these designs point to the anticipation of the future...
the space race, flying vehicles; perhaps even underwater vehicles, speed - the need to be first, being American; being the BEST.


These were dreams and notions of a country at a time when there wasn't any other that could even compare.
These things are things I feel are lost on American Automotive Designers/Marketers these days. Whereas the design may still occur, it's only for shows. It is no longer incorporated into everyday auto-making. The dream is still hinted at every now and again, but more in the tone of nostalgia than national pride.
Sure, cars have become a lot more convenient and accommodating than ever before.
But me, I want the DREAM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment