Monday, June 21, 2010

The Bictor.

No, I didn't misspell that...well, I did...but it was on purpose. It's kind of joke between us, me& Vic, the eldest of my younger brothers (confusing how I said that, I know).

My family is full of jokers and sarcasm, but also FULL of PASSION. When I begin to feel all down and bleh on anything - life, art, writing - there's Victor with an uplifting word, insightful thought, or even better...his inspiring natural talent. When I hit a brick wall, he has a million new thoughts; takes it from a completely different angle and leaves me in awe. He might not know it, but I do: he's got "IT".  And while I await him to figure this out, let me show you some of my favorites of his raw "quick" sketches that look amazing to me, just how they are.

First of all, he has a great understanding of how the body should look and how it moves. There can be no mistaking that. From his gesture sketches, which I have always found beautiful in their a-sexual undone appearance:

















 To his fleshing out a figure:

To his animation inspired figures in action:
He has an understanding for form that I can see, but can only dream of attaining to on paper. It makes me want to work harder and also gives me another reason to talk to my little bro' more. :o)
Besides his grasp of the human form and motion, he has the uncanny ability to capture someone in a photo. Now, you may not know the people he has done portraits of, but you can't say these quick sketches are bad! And you can take it from me, there is all sorts of these people's personality in these portraits.
First, see how even his un-finished sketches come across in this one of our youngest brother:

Or our grandfather:
(I swear it's him to a "T" and it's not even complete!)
And then there are portraits of people I do not know. Heck, he may not either. They may not even be real. But they are on paper:

When he does get further on a portrait, you get something like this self-portrait:
And this is still an incomplete picture. But you can see the wheels turning, the process moving. He is calculating each new step to create an even better piece of art either with his next step, or his next portrait. He evolves, learns, and keeps an open mind. And whether he knows it or not, those moments of learning are what inspire me. His "in-complete" works are what get me going. The sketchy almost there quality haunts me.



And then, of course, he can also create things out of his head that no one else can. It drives me to think more outside myself and the box of security that most of my own work lies within.
 Visit his blog. Start from the beginning. See his process. Absorb his enthusiasm and sarcasm.
Go on, get inspired. I dare you.
www.y2dart.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment